Winter is a wonderful time of year for many reasons. Hot chocolate, the scent of pine trees, and holiday cookies, to name just a few. Another is that the “Best of 2014″ lists are published! Magazines, newspapers, and Web sites like Amazon.com select the best books of the year and publish their lists just in time for holiday shopping (and better yet, snow day reading!). Every list is different, but some of these young adult novels are turning up everywhere. They really are the best of the best, and there’s something for everyone here: lost love letters, petrified bats, twist endings, experiments gone awry, head transplants, and magical journals. #BestBooks2014!
- The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han*
- Skink: No Surrender by Carl Hiaasen
- Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future by A.S. King*
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson*
- Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
- Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld*
- Noggin by John Corey Whaley
- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
* These books just happen to be Pickett’s Picks 2014! And The Young Elites absolutely should have been one!
Lucky for you, each of these books is available in the library! If you check one of these books out today you’ll be ready when the snow arrives. Happy soon-to-be-holiday-season reading!